I’ve been experiencing positive emotions lately. And I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Surely I can’t have this many good days (4) in a row? Today must be the day that the cloud descends, right? Where is the chest pain? M spoke about money last night and even that didn’t trigger an attack of pain. During the night I had loads of dreams – but no flashbacks or nightmares.
What has got me to this phase of mental health recovery:
- An increased dose in medication and adding a new medication to the mix.
- Starting therapy again (just talk therapy at the moment, CBT will start soon).
- Self care – exercise, seeing friends, hobbies.
- Understanding why I feel bad. Working out what triggered this particularly dark episode helped me find the tools to fight it.
- Time off. Letting myself have time and space to work on my mental health rather than struggling just to make it through each day.
- Letting myself off the hook and learning to be kind to myself.
- Getting out of the house.
- Eating healthier.
- Talking – on here, on social media, to friends old and new, to family.
- Support – wow, I’m constantly amazed by the outpouring of love and support from friends and strangers. It’s good to be kind.
Yep, as much as the cliche sucks, sometimes what you need it time. So if you are frustrated by your recovery, just remember that you won’t be this way forever and you are moving towards your goal even if it doesn’t always feel that way.