Fury opens up on 'challenging' mental health battle during pandemic

‘I found it challenging to say the least’: Tyson Fury opens up on mental health battle during coronavirus pandemic as WBC heavyweight champion says he trains twice a day to help keep him ‘on the straight and narrow path’

  • Tyson Fury has found it mentally ‘challenging’ during the coronavirus pandemic
  • The 32-year-old has struggled with depression throughout his boxing career
  • Fury has been training twice a day during the pandemic to help his mental health

Tyson Fury has spoken about his mental health demons during the coronavirus pandemic and how he has been coping as the world continues to adapt.

The current WBC heavyweight champion has struggled with depression throughout his career, and has been a long-term advocate for greater mental health discussion.

The 32-year-old has been unable to fight since defeating Deontay Wilder to win the WBC title in February. The highly-anticipated trilogy fight had been pencilled in for this year but that is now in severe doubt unless spectators can attend.

Tyson Fury has opened up about his mental health struggles during the coronavirus pandemic

Fury hasn’t been able to fight since February – when he beat Deontay Wilder to win in Las Vegas

To keep himself fit and active during the pandemic, Fury has been working out twice a day – often sharing his routines on social media to spread positivity among his followers.

And speaking about how he has fared mentally during the pandemic, Fury opened up to describe it as ‘challenging’.

‘I found it challenging to say the least,’ he told ITV’s Good Morning Britain on Wednesday.

‘But at least I’ve had the training in my life to keep me motivated and focused on what I’m about to achieve when given the chance.

‘Like I’ve said many times, I train twice a day and 99 per cent of that is for me to keep my mental health on the straight and narrow path.

‘It’s been challenging but I’m been getting through it. I’m looking forward to when it all goes back to what we used to think was normal at one stage in our lives.’

The ‘Gypsy King’, like everyone, is looking forward to the world returning to normality in future

Boxing has returned in recent months with Fury’s UK-based promoter Frank Warren holding fight cards without fans – but he has ruled out this possibility for Fury-Wilder III due to the sheer size of it.

‘Not a fight of that magnitude [taking place without fans],’ Warren told Good Morning Britain.

‘Wilder and Fury was the highest grossing fight to ever take place in Vegas. We just can’t lose that gate. It’s a huge amount of money. We need the gate.

‘Or we come up with a scenario where there is a huge site fee from a territory to take it, and we use it to promote their country.

‘We are looking at those situations.’

Fury-Wilder III had been scheduled to take place this year before the Covid-19 pandemic hit

Fury’s promoter Frank Warren says it will only happen with fans due to ‘huge’ gate receipts




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Create Account



Log In Your Account