Sources: Alvarez released from contract, now FA

  • ESPN Staff Writer
  • Previously a college football writer for The Dallas Morning News
  • University of North Texas graduate

Boxing’s most lucrative fighter is officially a free agent.

Canelo Alvarez has been released from his contract with Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN, sources told ESPN’s Salvador Rodriguez. After many days of negotiations, representatives for Canelo and Golden Boy Promotions have reached an agreement to release the four-time champion.

The situation ends a dispute between the middleweight champion, Golden Boy and DAZN that spilled into court. In September, Alvarez filed a lawsuit in federal court citing a breach of contract on an 11-fight, $365 million deal signed in 2018. A subsequent mediation situation between all parties failed and the suit was refiled after a technical error.

A source told Rodriguez that Alvarez and his team are targeting a return to the ring Dec. 19 against IBF super middleweight titlist Caleb Plant, who fights for Premier Boxing Champions.

Source: Read Full Article

Create Account



Log In Your Account