Ex-Port Adelaide player Jack Watts reported over car crash

Former Port Adelaide player Jack Watts is slated to appear in court over a car crash in Adelaide's western suburbs on Sunday, just days after announcing his retirement.

South Australian police said a 29-year-old man from Henley Beach South was reported to authorities after he allegedly crashed a Toyota Kluger into a parked car in the suburb of Fulham about 2pm on Sunday.

Jack Watts announced his retirement just last week.Credit:Getty Images

"The driver of the Kluger failed to stop at the crash," said a SA Police spokesperson.

Although no one was injured in the incident, the man was reported to police for failing to report a crash and driving without due care.

He will be summonsed to appear in court at a later date.

The Age has independently verified the man involved in the car crash was Watts. The Age has been told that Watts allegedly clipped a parked car, resulting in damage to the vehicle of around $1000.

In announcing his retirement from AFL last week, Watts referenced recent physical and mental struggles.

‘‘I have been thinking long and hard about my future for a while and contemplating retirement,’’ Watts said at the time.

‘‘Since my injury, I feel my body has let me down and I have been struggling with the physical and
mental requirements of getting back to the level of fitness that’s required at AFL level."

He said the decision to step away from the game had come after long discussion with his manager.

"It feels like the right decision for me to step away and look for new challenges in the next phase of my life," he said.

"I feel lucky to have had 12 years in the game and while there have been some challenges, there have also been some amazing memories both at Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

Watts played 174 games across 12 seasons for the Demons and Port before announcing his retirement.

With Sam McClure, Jake Niall and Anthony Colangelo

Most Viewed in Sport

Source: Read Full Article

Create Account



Log In Your Account