The Brisbane Broncos have announced coach Anthony Seibold’s position will be reviewed at the end of the 2020 season.
The club’s board of directors released a statement on Tuesday following the club’s annual general meeting in front of shareholders where it was revealed the club’s financial results for the 2020-21 financial year will be “significantly” hurt by the club’s woeful on-field performance.
The Broncos have lost seven of their last eight games since the 2020 NRL season re-started after the suspension due to coronavirus restrictions and reports emerged on Monday that the Broncos are considering replacing Seibold with sacked Cowboys coach Paul Green.
However, the Broncos’ statement on Monday declared Seibold will coach out the remainder of the 2020 season before his performance would come under review.
Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Seibold is less than two years into a five-year contract but now has just nine weeks to save his job.
It follows reports the Broncos have handed Seibold an ultimatum to win five of his remaining 10 games before the season concludes against the Cowboys in Round 20 on September 24.
“Shareholder questions were answered in relation to both commercial performance, as well as football results and associated issues, including head coach Anthony Seibold,” the statement from club directors claimed.
“The board would like to be clear in respect of ongoing speculation on Anthony’s tenure at the Broncos. He is, and he will remain, our coach.
“The CEO made it clear that every employee at the Broncos has their performance reviewed at the end of each season, in line with strict performance management.
“In terms of recent disappointing team performance there are a large number of players returning from injury in the coming weeks, and the board is looking forward to improved performances.”
Dead man walking.Source:News Corp Australia
Earlier, Broncos chairman Karl Morris released a statement clarifying the club’s disputed contractual situation with Seibold after earlier reports of performance clauses in the fine print that would allow the club to terminate the contract without paying out the huge money left owing.
Seibold has denied the reports previously, declaring his contract is a standard NRL coaching contract.
Morris also said on Tuesday there is no clause relating to the team’s on-field performance in Seibold’s contract.
“Like all contracts, his contract is confidential,” Morris said, according to The Australian.
“Like all of us, many of us that are employed, we all personal performance conditions within our contract in relation to our performance.
“But there is nothing in relation to for example how the overall team performs within his contract, which is a very normal part of any contract for any employee of any organisation.”
The Australian earlier reported the Broncos expect to take a significant hit to their financial results for the 2020-21 season as a result of the form slump under Seibold and the devastating impacts of coronavirus.
Despite reporting an operating profit of $2.9 million for the 2019-20 financial year, Morris said the club will take a “significant” hit this financial year.
Source: Read Full Article