Manchester City are planning a squad reshuffle this summer but that will not include a return for Jadon Sancho.
Pep Guardiola is looking at as many as four new signings, warning Liverpool that City will be ready to wrestle back the Premier League crown next season.
City’s top priority is a central defender after missing out on Harry Maguire last year but they are also looking at other areas. That does not involve former academy graduate Sancho, despite Leroy Sane’s £55million departure for Bayern Munich.
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola is not planning on having Jadon Sancho return to club
City’s top priority is signing a central defender as they write off the Borussia Dortmund winger
‘He (Sancho) decided to leave, why should he decide to come back?’ Guardiola said ahead of their clash with Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium.
‘When he decided to move to Dortmund, it is not because he is going to decide to come back two years later. It would make no sense. He didn’t want to be here so that is why he doesn’t want to come back here.’
Guardiola maintained that some areas of his squad require freshening up, with both Sergio Aguero and Fernandinho entering the final 12 months of their contracts and David Silva leaving after the Champions League’s conclusion next month.
‘Some players have to be replaced,’ he said. ‘But it’s not a disaster, it’s part of football. I want to sit with the club, take a little time to think about which players we should replace.
Guardiola said it would make ‘no sense’ for Sancho to return after leaving club two years ago
‘We’d like to stay with the players who gave us what they did for the past decade and for them to be eternal, but we grow in years and sometimes we have to replace them.
‘It’s not for the lack of quality but for the absence of Vincent Kompany, David. Fernandinho and Sergio have one year left but I don’t know if they will extend or not. We have to rebuild. We’re going to make Liverpool feel it next season and fight for the next chapters.’
City’s transfer business over the coming months is complicated by their two-year ban from Champions League. The Court of Arbitration for Sport is due to deliver its verdict on City’s appeal on July 13. The financial impact of coronavirus will also have a bearing on their spending power.
‘All we can do is accept it this year,’ he said. ‘Learn from our mistakes, try to get the consistency we’ve had in the past and try to reply next season.
‘You have to prove it again and again. You can’t be part of the big clubs without demanding that you do your best.’
Source: Read Full Article