Juventus set for 3-0 forfeit win over Napoli – who failed to turn up

Juventus v… nobody! Andrea Pirlo’s side in line for 3-0 forfeit win after Napoli no-show with Gennaro Gattuso’s side blocked from travelling to Turin due to Covid-19 symptoms in squad

  • Juventus are set to be given a 3-0 forfeit win over Napoli in their Serie A clash 
  • Napoli failed to turn up to the game after they were told not to travel to Turin
  • Naples health authority ASL told Napoli they could not go due to Covid-19 risks
  • Coronavirus cases have risen among Italian football clubs over the past week
  • Juventus president Andrea Agnelli has refused Napoli’s offer of a postponement 

Juventus are set to be handed a 3-0 forfeit win in their Serie A clash with Napoli as Gennaro Gattuso’s side failed to turn up to the match after being told by the Naples authorities not to travel to Turin.

Andrea Pirlo’s champions turned up to the stadium as planned for the top-flight fixture but their opponents failed to appear after the the local health authority in Naples – known as ASL – ordered them not to go to the match due a Covid-19 spike.

Coronavirus cases among Italian football clubs have risen in the past week with Genoa, who played Napoli in Serie A last weekend, recording 22 new cases while both Juventus and Gattuso’s side had two members of the team or staff testing as positive for the virus. 

Juventus are set to be given a 3-0 forfeit win against Napoli after their opponents did not show

Napoli were ordered by their local health authority – ASL – not to travel to Turin for the match

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli maintained on Sunday night that ASL did not acknowledge the protocol drawn up by Serie A and the Italian sports ministry that allows matches to go ahead even if certain members of the group test as positive.

Elif Elmas and Piotr Zielinski were the two players who picked up the virus in Gattuso’s side and ASL thought it wrong for the squad to go to Turin with these positive cases.

Agnelli said: ‘There are protocols that are very clear for situations like this, the situation was predictable, that there would be one or two COVID cases in the matchday squad.

‘At that point, we go to the protocol passed by the CTS and the Lega Serie A, which is that we go into isolation at a structure agreed with the ASL.

The Juventus squad (above) turned up to the match as normal for the game on Sunday night

Gianluigi Buffon (left) was seen waiting at the Juventus stadium for Napoli to arrive

Covid-19 cases have risen in Italy, with 22 new cases at Genoa – Napoli’s opponents last week 

‘That allows us all to go into the structure, to continue training and playing when tested regularly. There is clarity, the Federation worked well with the Ministry for Health and CTS to make sure we all know what needs to be done.

‘Juventus discovered there were two COVID cases yesterday, so naturally we all went into the bubble so we’d be ready to play this game.’

Agnelli also confirmed that Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis messaged him to ask for a postponement for the Serie A fixture, but the Juventus president refused to accept this offer as his side had followed the protocols. 

Juve president Andrea Agnelli (above) has turned down Napoli’s offer of a postponement

Juventus arrived one hour before the scheduled kick-off time at 8.45 Italian time (7.45pm UK time) and even announced their team line-up for the fixture. 

Napoli were all set to travel to Turin for the fixture on Saturday but the ASL then released a statement ordering them to stay in Campagnia and self-isolate. 

There are also concerns that Napoli’s players who are set to play international football next week may not be allowed to leave the Campagnia region because of this ASL order. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Create Account



Log In Your Account