Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has gone back on claims he made earlier this year that the club would look to 'exploit' the summer transfer market.
The Norwegian made the comments in April, during the height of lockdown, while referring to the Red Devils' vast wealth in comparison to the majority of other clubs and how it may help them amid the coronavirus crisis.
He said at the time: "There might be just a situation there where you can exploit, and I know that we at Man United we are one of the biggest, and the biggest, financially well-off."
But when asked about his previous comments he appeared to backtrack on what he said.
“I think my wording in lockdown 'exploit' was a bad word by me, I didn't mean in that respect," he said.
“I meant clubs out there have to move because of the situation and it might be a situation for us, but at the moment, there's not been those situations.
“We've lost loads of money as the other clubs have as well.
“And when I talk about the squad depth, of course the performances didn't warrant me giving more of them more options, the 11, 12 or 13 players who deserved to play, they played really well.
“I think it's a different scenario now, I've seen many other of the other players who didn't play too well the other season, play really well now.”
Other than the signing of Donny van de Beek from Ajax United have not, in fact, done anything to exploit the transfer market, and that is still the only signing they have made with the window shutting on Monday.
They are now desperately trying to make additions to their squad before it is too late, and are still attempting to sign the likes of Jadon Sancho from Dortmund or Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.
Source: Read Full Article