Wilfried Zaha has again been targeted with vile racist abuse on social media and the Crystal Palace star shared the messages in a video, bemoaning the lack of real action from Twitter and Instagram.
The Crystal Palace star wants users on social media to have to verify their identity so they cannot hide when sending anonymous abuse.
Zaha shared an abusive post send to him on Sunday and a 12-year-old boy has since been arrested. He said he could not understand how someone so young had so much hate in them.
Wilfried Zaha shared a video slamming the lack of action taken by Twitter and Instagram
Zaha was the subject of more racist abuse online and shared the messages he’d received
In the video message posted by the Ivory Coast international on Tuesday, he said: ‘This is why I don’t tend to talk even though I get stupid racist messages every day of my life.
‘But the other day I thought, “I’m going to out this person”, it happened to be a 12-year-old. How can you have such hatred at 12 and send those type of things?
‘It doesn’t make a difference to me how old he is. Anyway, social platforms like Instagram, Twitter, to make a change for people to not be able to do this stuff and be held accountable for the stuff they send, everyone should put their details in, their proper details, where you live, everything to be able to be able to come on an account so we don’t get these messages, look at these messages I’m still getting.
Zaha then displayed the horrendous abuse he is being sent.
The first one read: ‘A n***** bragging about a wee lad arrested, that’s a bit sad innit.’ Another abuser wrote: ‘Do n** n**** feel any sort of sympathy?’
Zaha then continued: ‘All kind and supportive stuff people have been saying but I want action, I want change.
‘Instagram, Twitter, unless people give their proper full details, they should not be allowed to make an account, because that’s all cowards do.
‘These stupid racist cowards, that’s all they do, hide behind accounts. And it is going to carry on, we can put it everywhere, we can put it on the news, wherever but it’s going to carry on.
‘So yeah until these things are changed, I don’t want to hear nothing sorry.’
Zaha had previously reacted to news of the arrest by writing on Monday: ‘Very disappointed we didn’t get a better result yesterday but I wanted to come on here to thank you for all your messages of support. I would also like to thank West Midlands Police for their swift action in making an arrest.
‘People need to understand that whatever your age, that your behaviour and your words come with consequences and you cannot hide behind social media.
‘It is important social media platforms do as they did yesterday and seek out these individuals and remove them.
‘This is not the first time I have received messages like this, nor am I the only player to receive message like this – it happens every day.
‘I want to thank everyone for the love and support but enough is enough! It is not enough to be disgusted by these messages I received and move on.
‘It isn’t enough to just say #notoracism. We need action, we need education, things need to change.’
Source: Read Full Article