Jockey Jordan Childs admits he is hurting but one thing is for sure – he has been all class in response to his sacking off Melbourne Cup favourite Surprise Baby.
Childs has lost the spring ride on Surprise Baby, with Craig Williams linked with the horse for his resumption and potentially the Melbourne Cup.
LADBROKES ODDS: Check out the latest market movements here
Racenet spoke to Childs early on Wednesday morning and he told how Surprise Baby’s trainer Paul Preusker had delivered the tough news on Monday.
Childs revealed it was a hard phone call for both men – he says the jockey change was owner inspired by the ownership group of Brisbane couple John Fiteni and Kathy Stewart.
Jordan Childs and trainer Paul Preusker after winning The Bart Cummings on Surprise Baby. Picture: Michael KleinSource:News Corp Australia
While conceding he was down when told the news, Childs says he holds no ill will about being taken off the highly-rated stayer.
“Paul (Preusker) rang me and it was a very disappointing phone call to have, especially on a Monday morning,” Childs said.
“I’m not the first jockey to be taken off a horse and I won’t be the last jockey to get taken off a horse.
“But it probably hurts that little bit more when you know how good the horse is going and it’s Australia’s biggest race.
“Obviously I have ridden a lot of winners for Paul and John (Fiteni) – I respect their decisions.
“I could tell that Paul didn’t want to have the conversation with me – from what I know it was an owner inspired change.”
Childs is remaining hopeful he could still ride Surprise Baby in the Melbourne Cup – but admits that is probably long odds.
“I am assuming I’ve lost the Melbourne Cup ride – but I’m not losing hope, things change quickly over spring,” Childs said.
Jordan Childs wins The Bart Cummings on Surprise Baby. Picture: Michael KleinSource:News Corp Australia
“I am not going to burn any bridges.
“I’ve just got to keep chipping away and keep working hard and hopefully find another one.”
Childs, who came out of the shadow of his famous father Greg when he won the Blue Diamond Stakes on Written By in 2018, will be replaced by Williams when Surprise Baby resumes in the Group 2 Feehan Stakes at The Valley on September 5.
Williams, who rode Vow And Declare for Danny O’Brien to win the 2019 Melbourne Cup, said on Tuesday he had no confirmed booking as yet for the 2020 Melbourne Cup.
Childs partnered Surprise Baby in last year’s Melbourne Cup but now connections of the six-year-old are going in a different direction.
Vow And Declare, who will rise substantially in weight from the 52kg he carried last year as he attempts to win back-to-back Melbourne Cups, is a $26 chance to win the 2020 Cup.
Originally published asHurting: Childs all class after losing Surprise Baby spring ride
Source: Read Full Article